Roman Bengert Academic Scholarship
We at Newbridge Academy are proud to announce the second of six academic scholarships, The Roman Bengert Academic Scholarship!
Roman Bengert, alumni of Newbridge Academy, is proud to announce his commitment to play NCAA Division 1 hockey for the 2017-18 season at Lake Superior State University of the WCHA. Under a full athletic scholarship, Roman will be combining his play by enrolling in a Bachelor of Mathematics. Roman completed High School with a 4.0+ GPA and ACT of 31.
“I attended Newbridge Academy during its inaugural year as well as the following two years. Newbridge has left a permanent imprint on me as a student, athlete and person. At the time, most of the studies at Newbridge were independent and allowed freedom of pace. This prepared me well to become a student-athlete because it taught me to manage my time. As an athlete, Newbridge offered me different perceptions on the position of goaltending. I gained tremendous knowledge of the game from all of the experienced coaches and trainers.” -Roman Bengert
Currently, Roman is playing goal in the Manitoba Junior Hockey League for the Steinbach Pistons. He has just completed his second year with the organization and is about to embark on a run for the Turnbull Cup (MJHL hockey title) During his time in Steinbach, Roman has garnered numerous awards including:
- The MJHL Goaltender of the Year 2016-17 and the MJHL Goaltender of the Year runner-up 2015-16; First All-Star Selection for season 2016-17
- MJHL Goaltender of the Month (3 times) and the MJHL Goaltender of the Month Runner-Up (8 times)
- Tied the league record in season wins with 38 in 2016-17
- Lead all of the CJHL Goaltenders in wins with 38 in 2016-17
- Finished with career regular season numbers of GP 79; Wins 63; Losses 15; Shut-outs 8; GAA 2.11 and Save Percentage 0.926
- Manitoba Pork Performer of the Month (December 2015) awarded to MJHL player in recognition for the their off-ice charity and volunteer work
- Completed High School with a 4.0+ GPA and ACT of 31.
Newbridge Academy Headmaster, Jason Wolfe says “Roman was a wonderful representation of the student-athletes we showcase at Newbridge Academy. He was a student with strong a character and extraordinary academic aptitude. Roman was dedicated in all aspects of his personal growth during his time at Newbridge Academy and that dedication continues as he about to start his post-secondary studies at Lake Superior State University.”
While his final year of junior hockey has lead Roman to his next step in his hockey and academic career, the road was not always an easy one. Dave Anthony, of Steinbach Online, wrote an in-depth piece detailing some of the travails Roman endured in his hockey life. – Roman Bengert: From Japan to Division 1
Thank you Roman – we wish you all the best are proud to announce a Scholarship in your Honour.
To apply for the Roman Bengert Academic Scholarship – please fill out the form located here.